Astrophotography Workshop on Whatipu Beach
NZ$120 Per Person (inc. GST)
Limited to 10 people per night
We're at Whatipu beach on May 17, June 7, 8, 9 and 14, 15, 16. We would love you to join us. Choose any night.
It's close to the new moon and the Milky Way will be high in the sky. This is an excellent opportunity to practice your panoramas as the stars will arch over Paratutae Island.
The beach is about 40 minutes drive from the CBD. There is a 5 minute walk from the parking and camping site to the beach.
Throughout the night we'll help you with your camera settings,
We'll also be teaching post-processing with your own photos! You'll learn to use Lightroom, Photoshop, PTgui and 3D LUT creator. We'll have an editing and coffee station set up in our very large tent!
In the event of intermittent cloud cover we will work on some post processing. If it's completely clouded over we'll offer a full refund.
- A Camera (any modern camera with a detachable lens)
- A Tripod (essential for night photography)
- The Widest Lens You Have (ideally 24mm or less with an aperture of 3.5 or lower. If you don't own one you can rent one from somewhere like Topic Rentals)
- A Torch (bring one with a red light if you have one)
- Very Warm Clothes (It can be windy and cold!)
- A Cable Release or Remote (to allow your camera to take photos longer than 30 seconds)
- Spare shoes and socks (there are a couple of shallow rivers - wet feet are almost a certainty)
- A Thermos of Your favourite hot drink
- Did we mention to bring a Torch? (super important)
(feel free to message us if you're uncertain about your gear)